Search This Blog

Friday, January 11, 2013

MY Malaysian Dream

Food, shelter, clothing and income. Commerce Study teaches us that these are the essentials for survival. Any less would create hardship and an unbearable existence. 

Born post 1957 did not leave me any less appreciative of the struggles of our predecessors to make this country independent of another country's rule and management. It does however make me feel that Malaysia was never a British Colony -- the British never intended to settle down in Malaysia and procreate. The 3 major races at the time - Malays, Chinese and Indians were the ones that did.

In fact, the United States of America was more a British Colony than we ever were -- in that sense. Pocahontas and her likes are greatly outnumbered today, so to say.

However, the good that the British brought with them, i.e. infrastructure and education cannot be denied.

As a 3rd generation Malaysian being born and bred in this wonderful country called Malaysia, just what exactly is the Malaysian Dream about -- more importantly, am I truly living the Malaysian Dream?

Do I have food? Do I have shelter? Do I have clothing? And, do I have income to sustain them all? So what more do I want then? Is this not the Malaysian Dream?

I don't know.

Perhaps the idle mind has time to ponder and give rise to wants. Wants of power, recognition, equality and more. Are these the new and modern needs of society?

Take for example the antics of politicians during their assembly -- the way they verbally abuse one another in so-solemn a meeting and then there are those  who come to blows. Absolutely shameful!

Maybe that's a bit off topic but hey I can't deny that I abhor publicly elected representatives of the people who have questionable motives and act childishly!

Okay so then what is MY Malaysian Dream?

I want the feeling of being safe and secure at all times - not to be worrying about the crime rate and having to look over my shoulder every now and then. I want to be served by locals instead of cheap imported labor who may sometimes be carrying communicable disease(s). 
I want to know how so many Africans can be in Malaysia without visible signs of employment and income -- don't you agree? At one point they even caused sensational news by being rowdy in the Chow Kit area and a tough enforcement issue due to their size (height and build, of course). But that soon died down and now I see them in Petaling Jaya, Bandar Mahkota Cheras and Kepong. They obviously don't look like students least act like one, so how do they sustain having a car, apartment etc.? The Burmese (Myanmarese) can at least be seen working in local eateries - whether legally or otherwise, who knows?
I pray that people in the Government act maturely, responsibly and in the best interest of the public at large. Same goes for news agencies who highlight political antics -- for them to stay on track and unbiased. As far as the public is concerned, I feel that a good government is felt and not always be heard or to be seen. I'm looking forward to the 13th General Elections -- waking up early in the morning, dressing up, going to the voting centre and then standing in a long queue for my turn.

I want straight answers from government agencies that have to be dealt with. I don't want the merry go round treatment.
I don't want the once a year haze party from across  the sea. I HATE HAZE! Even smokers do not appreciate another smoker blowing their cigarette smoke at them -- after all, we do have our own open burners.
I want less traffic jams (as if that would really happen)! I want Traffic enforcers at every street corner to ensure that motorists do not cut queue, speed, go through red traffic lights, throw rubbish, spit and tailgate. There are just so many inconsiderate people on the roads these days that driving out is like going on to a battlefield -- if you don't hit them, they hit you! 
So what do I really want?

I want to wake up every morning and safely enjoy life freely...perhaps then I'll surely be living MY Malaysia Dream.

No comments: