Search This Blog

Saturday, February 7, 2009

My Life Today in Malaysia

It’s Saturday, the 7th of February in the year 2009, and yours truly is in the green. Being in the green means that my mind is jam packed, as usual, with thoughts. The only one I recognize is the constant itch to travel out of the country. But that’s not the point, my friend. The point is the beautiful people and places. There’s Singapore with all its supermodel pedestrians, and there’s my favorite country, Australia, and above all, there is the heart-stoppingly scenic, ultra ancient modern young and happening China, and the big boss, Japan, also beautiful. And then there are some others I haven't been to yet, but I’d like to.

The point is that they’re all not Malaysia, all beautiful travel destinations, and all here in this world where the local scene is bracing up to face the economy and business and fears of inflation and the credit crisis. And it’s all a torrent of wants, and they’re all so alluringly make-me-forget-and-relaxed, and I’m thinking, Why? When do I go from here?

When I finished breakfast at the local kopitiam, I hightailed it back to my abode, and what should be waiting there to greet me in the news is but the one and only stuff that is utterly embarrassing and disturbing, the one news that sort of puts one on the whole concept travel far far away, political instability in the country. Its been around a few years now, and we have all had our share of controversy lately. But I do hope that it'll be the last so that Malaysia can forge ahead and make right the wrongs in the past. Malaysia is still pretty young in terms of maturity at half a century. Looking mighty sweet to outside investors, she may soon sour if we don't get a firm grip at improving ours mentally and financially. We all know more than a little about the inner workings of the financial world - the strong oppresses whereas the weak meekly follow.

And the next day, there’s still us in the news with the political issues and such. I hope to see more of news that tell how well we are progressing, plans for the country's future, and lika lika lika.

What we have is a flood, a wakeup call, a tsunami of politic and economy. Pak Lah our beloved Prime Minister is still by far the best in my eyes. A leader that commands respects even till today and this is coming from someone who is a mere three decades of acquaintance from afar.

Long be well Malaysia.

No comments: