Search This Blog

Monday, September 29, 2008

Donation PLEASE

I'm not not avid gambler if that's what you term a dude that visits the various gaming outlets in this country every other day there's a draw. Da Ma Cai - Pan Malaysian Pools, Sports Toto, Magnum 4D---who will deny himself hope? A great man once told me, to buy the lottery is to give yourself a hope. A hope for a windfall. A hope for millions. A hope for yourself in a world other than your work that you do day in day out. Should you decide not to give yourself this hope, then don't!!!

Anyway, the issue that I wish to highlight is the emergence of many "touts" who solicit for donations at the entrances and sometimes in the premises of these outlets. Don't they know that it is taboo?

Oblivious to this belief, many of such people (might be some are genuine, but I guess the majority are not) "ply" their trade and work their route at these places of gambling. A recent scenario I chanced upon during my last visit (yesterday) to a place of chance for my own and many others' personal reasons, I sidestepped away from an Indian lass "manning" her post at the middle of the entrance to the outlet on my way in. After standing in line patiently awaiting my time to blow some hard earned cash, the call went out. "Donation please, sir donate, DONATION PLEEEEASE", the lass started with her continuous playback call. Luckily I got my turn at the counter after a nice short wait of 22 minutes. Apparently some "hopers" lined up in front of me were hoping more than usual. I quickly placed my bets and made my way out.

I took a long hard look at this lass, still standing in the middle of the entrance, and calling out non-stop for donations. I don't judge people but from the looks of the documents she had in hand and the dressing (and especially the age), she definitely did not look the part. It is my opinion that people should donate when they feel like it and those that help to collect donations do so in a proper manner and location.

When I turned away, one of the outlet staff came out to shoo the lass away...


No comments: